Conant Chemistry Laboratory
Address12, Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA, United States of America, 02138
Site Number313B
Building Root Number
04131
Architect (Original)
Voorhees Walker Smith & Smith
Land Acquired
1905
Constructed 1958
Building Acquired 1958
Constructed 1958
Building Acquired 1958
StatusActive
Site Name HistoryThe site is named for James Bryant Conant (1893-1978), Harvard President from 1933 to 1953 and a noted chemist.Historical NotesConant Lab was built in 1958 for Harvard to a design by the New York firm of Voorhees Walker Smith and Smith.Additional InformationHarvard University Archives. Construction Management Records, ca. 1953-1986. Harvard University Archives call number UAV 298.8000
General Information By and About the James B. Conant Laboratory. Harvard University Archives call number HUB 1296.2.
Chemical Laboratories Correspondence Files, 1894-1949. Harvard University Archives call number UAV 274.10.5 and UAV 274.20.2.
“New Laboratory Named For President Conant.” Harvard Crimson, 20 Oct. 1959, https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1959/10/20/new-laboratory-named-for-president-conant/.
“Harvard Names New Laboratory For Dr. Conant.” New York Herald Tribune, 20 Oct. 1959, p. 14.
“Chemistry Hall Given His Name Harvard Honors Conant In Surprise Ceremony.” Daily Boston Globe, 20 Oct. 1959, p. 5.
“Laboratory Dedicated: Harvard Chemistry Building Named for Conant.” New York Times, 1959, p. 20.
“New Harvard Chemical Laboratories Opened.” Cambridge Tribune, 13 Apr. 1929, p. 4.