Randall Hall [Demolished]
Address33, Kirkland Street, Cambridge, MA, United States of America, 02138
Previous Address29, Kirkland Street, Cambridge, MA, United States of America, 02138
Previous Address31, Kirkland Street, Cambridge, MA, United States of America, 02138
Site Number1707
Alternate Names
Harvard University Press
PIRC Site Number
1707
Previous Building Number 237
Building Root Number N/A
Previous Building Number 237
Building Root Number N/A
Architect (Original)
Wheelwright & Haven
Constructed
1898
Building Acquired 1898
Demolished 1962
Building Acquired 1898
Demolished 1962
StatusInactive
Materials for this building in our collection are not fully processed at this time.
Site Name HistoryThe site is named after J. W. and Belinda L. Randall, who bequeathed funds for its construction.Historical NotesRandall Hall was built as a dining hall on the former site of Eustis Hall in order to fulfill needs not being met by Foxcroft House. In 1916 the Harvard University Press moved into the building where its printing operation operated for almost 50 years. Randall Hall was razed in 1962 to accomodate the construction of William James Hall.Additional InformationHall, Max., and Chandler, Alfred D. Harvard University Press : a History. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Press, 1986. HOLLIS number: 00457752
Randall Hall. “General Information by and about Randall Hall." Harvard University Archives call number: HUB 1729.2
Hale, Herbert D. “Recent Buildings at Harvard University.” The Architectural Review, vol. 8:6, June 1901, pp. 65-75, illus.
“Randall Hall.” The Harvard Crimson, 11 June 1898, https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1898/6/11/randall-hall-the-work-of-tearing/.
“New Quarters for Enlarged Harvard University Press.” Cambridge Tribune, 23 Dec. 1916, p. 9.
“Harvard’s New Dining Hall.” Boston Evening Transcript, 14 Sept. 1898, p. 6.