Perkin Laboratory
Address60, Garden Street, Cambridge, MA, United States of America, 02138
Site Number670
Building Root Number
04197
Architect (Original)
Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
Constructed
1972
Building Acquired 1972
Building Acquired 1972
StatusActive
Site Name HistoryThe site is named for Richard Scott Perkin (1906-1969), founder of the Perkin-Elmer Corporation and supporter of the astronomy department at Harvard.Historical NotesPerkin Laboratory was completed in 1972 to a design by Cambridge Seven Associates.Additional InformationHarvard College Observatory. Photographs of Perkin Building, 1970-1972 (inclusive). Harvard University Archives call number UAV 630.470 p/as #209
Grainger, Clive. A Portrait of Contemporary Astrophysical Research: Richard Scott Perkin and the Richard S. Perkin Laboratory for Astrophysics. [Cambridge, Mass., 2016?] Print. HOLLIS Number 014638232.
Gingerich, Owen. "Leo Goldberg (January 26, 1913-November 1, 1987)." Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 136.2 (1992): 296-301. Web. http://www.jstor.org.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/stable/987175.
“200 Scientists Transfer To Perkin Laboratory.” The Harvard Crimson, 23 Nov. 1971, https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1971/11/23/200-scientists-transfer-to-perkin-laboratory/.
“New Building to Double Observatory Space Here.” Cambridge Chronicle, 23 July 1970, p. 11.
“Observatory Will Get New Building.” Cambridge Chronicle, 11 Dec. 1969, p. 22.
“Observatory Gets Central Building.” The Harvard Crimson, 10 Nov. 1969, https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1969/11/10/observatory-gets-central-building-pthe-harvard/.